Heard of the expression, “Falling on your face is a funny thing?” If you live in New York City and you’ve been walking around without realizing it, then chances are that at some point during your day-to-day life you will experience slipping and falling on the ground.
In this article, we’ll discuss some preventative measures you can take to avoid falling on a slippery surface as well as what to do if you have been injured from this kind of accident.
What Happens After A Slip And Fall Incident?
If you trip and fall on a slippery surface, such as ice or snow, or a wet floor, someone else could be at fault for your accident. One of the main factors that determine liability is whether or not the person who slipped and fell was told about a potential hazard before they got hurt, and if so, how much time elapsed between their being told about a hazard and them getting hurt.
If you’ve had a slip and fall, the most important thing to do is to visit an emergency room or doctor right away to get your fall related injuries checked out.
You’ll also need to talk to personal injury attorneys who know more about slip and fall law and a slip and fall claim, about filing a lawsuit against the property owners -especially if they were negligent in their duty of care for your safety while on their property.
Steps to follow if you slip and fall:
- Immediately after being involved in a fall accident, do not try to get up on your own.
- Once you’re sure that there is no immediate danger, find a blanket or jacket and place it over the area in which you fell (in case of blood loss). If possible, mark the location of your fall with something like a shoe or cane.
- Call EMS immediately and tell them where you are located. If you’re unable to get a hold of them, go to the closest hospital or medical facility.
- Once it has been determined that you have not suffered a serious injury, take an over-the-counter medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen for minor injuries like sprains and broken bones (if necessary).
If you have suffered slipping and falling in New York City, it is important that you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help determine whether or not the party responsible for your injuries had any legal obligation to maintain its premises in a safe condition.
When Should I Report This Kind Of Incident?
After this kind of accident, you should report it to your employer, health insurance company, or third-party administrator who is paying for your medical bills.
Not reporting this could result in your not receiving the compensation you deserve for your injuries. If you were injured but did not keep records or receipts of your expenses, it is still possible to receive compensation for them through subrogation if someone else caused the accident.
The reason why most people don’t report such an accident is that they either don’t know about it or feel embarrassed to tell anyone. By reporting your involvement in a slip and fall, you are demonstrating responsibility, which might help you out in the long run.
What Documents Should I Keep After the Accident?
As soon as you receive medical treatment for your injuries, ask the doctor if they can give you a record of it to submit with the claim. Keep copies of all receipts and records related to the accident.
Some examples of Documents to keep:
- Prescriptions filled with date and cost of medication;
- Medical bills and payment receipts;
- Bills for lost wages and mileage if you had to drive yourself to the doctor’s office;
- Photographs of the scene of the accident.
Establishing that your injury was caused by someone else is easier when you have documentation, so it is crucial that you keep records. It will also help if you can get witness statements.
If your employer did not know that the injury occurred, they could refuse to accept responsibility for any of it. You don’t want to get accused of cutting corners, so make sure that you report this as soon as possible.
What Do I Need To Avoid After A Slip And Fall Accident?
Some important things to avoid after a slip and fall accident:
- Don’t panic. It’s important to not panic and be as calm as possible. immediately and make sure to provide medical aid if needed.
- Don’t forget to report the incident. In most states, a person must report a slip and fall accident within 24 hours after it occurs.
- Don’t lose your documentation. Make sure to bring all necessary documentation when making an appointment with an experienced attorney.
- Don’t be afraid to raise your concern. If the accident occurs in a supermarket, restaurant, or other business, it’s important to make sure these establishments are aware of an incident. It’s very important that a property owner acted carefully when it comes to the safety of customers.
This can be a traumatic experience, but it doesn’t have to be fatal. One can file a claim for compensation if they followed the proper procedures after this type of incident.
What is the cost of hiring a slip and fall lawyer?
This is a difficult question to answer because the costs of hiring a lawyer will vary depending on the accident and who was at fault. You can get an estimate by checking out the American Bar Association website for your state.
Generally, there are three main fee structures that lawyers or a law firm will follow for personal injury cases. Some lawyers charge a flat fee which means they work on your case until it is finished and then send you a bill for everything you owed them after the settlement or verdict of the case.
Other lawyers work on contingency fees which means they do not get paid unless the case settles and they will only get paid if you win the case. If you lose, you do not owe them anything.
Some attorneys also offer free evaluation or consultation so it would be good to consult one before really diving in.
7 Things to Consider When Suing For a Slip and Fall Accident:
It can be difficult to assess whether or not you should file a lawsuit after you’ve been injured in an accident. You should think about the following things (in this order):
- If the accident was your fault, it might not be worth filing for injury.
- The type of insurance claim you need to use.
- Think about how much a lawsuit will benefit you financially.
- Consider if going through the courts is worth being potentially awarded more compensation than what’s offered in a settlement.
- If you intend to file an injury claim against another party, you should take care of your medical bills and records as soon as possible.
- You need to decide whether or not it’ll be worth filing a lawsuit now, or waiting for your injuries to heal and then filing.
- When you’re ready, you should contact a personal injury attorney or a law firm who can evaluate your case and keep sensitive or confidential information.
How Long After A Slip And Fall Can You Sue In New York?
The statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in New York is three years. This means that if you are injured, you will need to file the lawsuit within three years of the incident. Generally speaking, this is between one and three years from the date of the accident, but it may vary depending on what caused your fall.
If you slip and fall in New York, you may be able to sue if the property owner was negligent. The time for filing a claim depends on the severity of your injuries (especially if it includes traumatic brain injuries), but usually, you may have three years, or as little as one year and 90 days, to file a complaint.
If a government agency is the property owner where the accident occurred, then there may be time limits that vary depending on how much time has passed since the incident occurred and what agency is involved.
To make sure that you can file a fall claim within the shortest amount of time, contact an attorney familiar with slip and fall injury in New York.
How Do I Find the Best Slip and Fall Accident lawyer in New York?
It’s very important for clients to know whether they need a personal injury lawyer. Personal injury lawyers specialize in providing legal advice and compensation to people who have been injured because of the negligence or carelessness of a property owner, company, or organization.
It’s also important that you find the best slip and fall accident lawyer in New York. Such a lawyer will represent you with the best of his or her abilities and provide total support for your personal injury claim.
You should know exactly what type of service you need before making any appointments with a personal injury lawyer. A good attorney client relationship will be helpful for your case.
The first thing that you have to do is define the type of compensation you want from the property owner responsible for fall accidents. In some cases, all you may need is medical treatment and nothing more. In other cases, the goal will be to compensate for lost wages or future earnings.
What Is The Statute Of Limitations For A Slip And Fall Accident?
The statute of limitations is three years from the date of injury in New York.
If you are injured in a slip-and-fall accident that was caused by the negligence of another person, it is always best to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit varies from state to state and can range anywhere from one year or three years after your accident depending on where you live.
If you’ve been involved in a fall incident or need to work out a slip and fall claim, you need the help of an experienced slip and fall lawyer.